I bought the boys’ high chair at a garage sale for $12 (Here’s a similar newer version). It works extremely well for us, but I don’t care for the style. So I decided to make a new high chair cover. The materials for the cover cost me about $5, so all in all, not a bad deal.
So here’s how I did it:
2. I took some more fabric, laid the outline of the high chair cover on top of it, and cut out the back part of the chair cover.
3. I decided that I wanted the back of the high chair cover to have a pocket where I could keep a few toys, so I took some more fabric, laid the outline of the high chair cover on top of it, and cut out the pocket.
4. In order to have a finished edge I pinned the edge under and sewed a straight stitch across.
5. Next I pinned the pocket to the back portion of the high chair cover and then sewed around the edges, leaving the pocket open.
6. For the back of my chair cover, I used a nice thick fleece, so I laid the front piece of fabric right side down on the fleece and cut around the edges.
7. So I put the front piece aside and I cut out a backing for the back piece (the one with the pocket). I laid the piece with the pocket right side down on the fleece and sewed the two together, leaving a small opening so that I could turn it inside out.
8. I turned it inside out, then top stitched around the edges, leaving a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
9. Then I put everything together. The bottom layer of fleece, the back part (with the pocket) in the middle, and the front piece, front side down. I pinned all of these together and sewed around the edges, leaving a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
10. I left a small opening at the bottom of the high chair cover so that I could turn it inside out. After turning the cover inside out I closed the gap at the bottom by top stitching across it. I then put the cover on the high chair. I was unhappy with the sides, so I sewed the sides of the cover a little bit more to keep it from sliding to the side and to make it look a little more finished.
These are not the most clear directions, and I apologize for that, but I thought that as convoluted as they may be, they might be of service to someone. Obviously you could make a cover for a high chair and go about it in a completely different and probably even better way, but this is just how I chose to tackle this challenge. It’s not perfect, and I may do a little adjusting to it still, but I really like it and I hope you do too.