I’ve been working on this dining room for quite some time and so I’m going to take you on a quick trip down memory lane to see how we got to where we are. When we moved in the dining room looked like this:
So I made a plan to change it up. Here’s my lovely photoshop plan:
Then I painted the ceiling and the upper part of the walls. I chose to have a Behr Ultra paint tinted to Benjamin Moore’s Hale Navy.
That brings us up to speed. I decided to add a wall treatment to the bottom half of the room and once I nail all of that on I will paint it all an off-white. There was already a chair railing and baseboard trim in this room so I decided to just add some vertical pieces of trim around the room to create almost like a board and batten type of treatment. I ended up using lattice moulding because it was very thin in depth (1/8 in) and would work well with the chair rail and baseboard trim that I was working with.
To plan everything out I did way more math than I care to and drew it all out on paper to try to see what would work with the walls. On each wall the vertical lattice pieces will be a slightly different width apart because I had to work with the small lengths of wall where there is a large opening from the dining room into our playroom.
Once I measured everything out I cut a few pieces and then taped them into place so that I could see if it worked for me visually. I decided to begin and end each section with a piece of lattice.
This is where I’m at right now. I’m going to use the nailer to tack the pieces into place. Then I’m going to fill the holes, caulk seams, and paint the lower part of the walls and all of the trim an off-white. I’m also going to replace the outlets and covers, clean the vents, and a whole bunch more of things. Hopefully I’ll have an update with more progress soon!