Nope, that’s not a typo- I said smother on purpose. My husband jokes that I will be the ultimate smother a la Beverly Goldberg from The Goldbergs. I will admit, I tend to have smother tendencies but I manage to keep them in check. Most of the time.
Anyway, whether the mom in your life is a smother or not I’ve got the perfect last minute gift guide for you.
*Please note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means that if you click on a link and make a purchase I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting the blog! Read my disclosure policy here.
1. personalized necklace w/kids names
I have been wanting an initial necklace for some time now and I think the Lisa Leonard ones are the cutest.
2. Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera
I had a Polaroid growing up and honestly I miss it! I think this would be fun to have at parties and special events.
3. Printable Mother’s Day cards from ABC
If your smother idealizes Beverly Goldberg (and she should!) then you should print one of these cards out for her.
4.Dr. Teal’s Foaming Bath, Lavender
My husband bought me some of this a while ago and I love drawing a nice warm bath and relaxing with the soothing scent of lavender.
Many excellent Etsy shops have printables that you can purchase, download, and print at home. Pick out a print of one of your mom’s favorite quotes or a print that expresses how you feel about her, pop it into a cute frame and you’ve got a gift that’s both beautiful and meaningful.
6. KitchenAid mixer in her favorite color
I love to cook and this is my favorite kitchen tool. I’ve had it now for 8 years and I use it more than any other kitchen appliance. If your smother likes to cook and doesn’t have one, get her one! It will make her life easier.
Willow Tree makes all kinds of figurines/statues and you could find one that represents your family.
8. Grand Ghirardelli Chocolate Gift Basket
It’s scientifically proven that about 99% of women love chocolate. I love chocolate boxes and gift baskets but rarely do I spend the money on them for myself. Many moms are the same way so treat your mom, especially if she rarely treats herself.
Beyond physical gifts let me just say how much smothers like myself like the gifts that don’t come from the store. Try to think about your smother’s love language and use that as a guide for what she might like. Or if you’re not sure what your smother’s love language is, then cover all the bases. Here are some examples broken down by love language:
- Words of affirmation– Write your smother a card telling her how wonderful she is, make a video with your siblings to tell her, or sing her a song.
- Acts of service– Smothers dedicate themselves to serving others and it’s nice to be served for a change so really you could do anything for her and she would love it. She would really love it if you did something for her that she doesn’t have the time to do or hates to do. I for one, would love it if someone would vacuum out my car for me, but I think I’ll have to wait a few years before my sons are old enough to do that one.
- Quality time– Give your mother a call or go to see her. She would love for you to take time out of your busy schedule to be with her. Dads, if your children are really young give her some quality time with the kids then take the kids away so that your wife can have a little time to herself to recharge. I know, not quite an exact interpretation of this love language, but mothers of littles spend a lot of time with their kids and often have little alone time so this would indeed be a gift of quality time.
- Physical touch– Smother your smother right back. Give her some hugs and kisses.
Whatever you do, be sure to thank your smother and show her how much you love her. More than any card, gift, or flowers your mother loves YOU. So be sure that whatever you may do that you give her something of yourself and your love.
Fellow smothers, what do you want for Mother’s Day? Be sure to share any ideas in the comments.
Linking up with Because Shanna Said So, Hump Day Happenings at Mandy Living Life, and Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family.
Wednesday 6th of May 2015
We just had our family pic taken over the weekend by a friend with a Fuji Polaroid camera. I absolutely love the pic! And it totally reminds me of the Polaroid I had when I was younger! Great gift ideas :)
Wednesday 6th of May 2015
Thanks, Lori! I think the Fuji camera looks like a lot of fun too.