This soup is straight up comfort food. It comes together fairly quickly and with little fuss. If you find yourself craving a rich, comforting soup for this last leg of winter then this is the soup for you.
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 32 ounce container of chicken broth
- 1 9 ounce package of cheese tortellini
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 2 cans of tomato soup
- 2 tablespoons of dried basil
- Cook the Italian sausage and the onions. If you can find the bulk Italian sausage then go for that but if not just remove the sausage from the casings, crumble, and cook. Drain out the grease.
- While cooking the Italian sausage heat the chicken broth to a boil. Add in the tortellini and cook according to the time recommendation on the package.
- Once the tortellini is cooked take about 1/2 cup of the hot broth from the pot and mix it in a bowl with the cream cheese. Keep adding a little more broth to the cream cheese until it has melted and blended into the broth.
- Then add the cream cheese/broth mixture to the pan with the Italian sausage and onions. Add in the rest of the broth and tortellini from the other pan, the two cans of tomato soup, and the 2 tablespoons of basil. Allow it to heat through and you’re done!