I love to make burp cloths as part of the gifts I give for baby showers. If you can sew even a little then you can probably do this. Let’s get started!
1. Pick out some fabrics. You can make burp cloths out of a variety of fabrics. I like to make mine out of cotton prints on the front and I use terry cloth as my backing. Whenever I make a set for someone I typically make three burp cloths using three coordinating fabrics. Wash your fabrics. Then iron them.
2. Cut out your fabric. I keep it simple by making my burp cloths rectangles. I cut my fabric into a 15.5 X 8.5 inch rectangle. This means that my finished product will be about 15 X 8 inches. To make things simple I use a template that I made and cut around the edges with my rotary cutter.
3. After I cut out the front fabric I pin it to the terry cloth backing face down.
4. Then I cut out around the top piece so that they are the same size.
5. Now sew around the edge of the burp cloth, leaving a 1/4 inch around the edge. Stop sewing about 3 inches from where you begin so that you have an opening with which to turn the burp cloth inside out. When you begin and at the end you should back-stitch a little to make it stronger.
6. Clip the corners of the rectangle. This will help the corners to look nicer once we turn it inside out.
7. Turn the burp cloth inside out by pulling it through the hole that we left.
8. Iron the burp cloth. Then top stitch around the border of the burp cloth. When you have finished, trim the strings and you are done. Sometimes I like to top stitch a second time around the border to make it look a little more finished.
Ready to make your own? Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help.